Monday, April 8, 2013

SAQA PENN quilter - Sue Reno


This is our first visit in our region with our fellow artist Sue Reno. Sue works in a myriad of transfer techniques and stitching styles to artfully document the plants and architectural images she find of interest. She is also working with photography and is using her fisheye and macro lens to create remarkable work. 
"Skunk and Garlic Mustard"
50" x 51"

I’ve come to realize that I am primarily a storyteller.  I’ve spent as much as much of my life as possible either roaming the wooded hills of Pennsylvania, or grubbing about in my organic garden.  The simple truths I’ve discovered through continued and minute observation form the basis of what I convey through my fiberart.  Recently I’ve added the portrayal of historic architecture transformed by adaptive reuse to my repertoire.
I’ve been sewing since I was a small child, and have a firm grounding in solid craft practice.  I enjoy using my skills to push the traditional craft of quilt making into the current milieu.  I employ surface design techniques including cyanotypes, heliographic prints, and image transfers as the basis for works that also incorporate unusual and hand painted fabrics, hand and machine stitching, and beadwork.
You can view my work and follow my textile and travel adventures at:

Recently I’ve become enamored with iphoneography, especially using specialty macro and fisheye lenses.  I am continually adding photos to my Flickr account; there’s a link to it on the sidebar of my blog, or use this:




No comments:

Post a Comment